PAGES

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

VINTAGE BEDROOM SET MADE PRETTY!

I REALLY love how how this bedroom set turned out but…. 


have I mentioned how much I hate stripping painted furniture?  Stripping paint is NO FUN!  It is definitely more work than stripping a clear coat or stain.

I had a lovely customer ask me to refinish this set for her and although I did see the pictures she emailed me I had no idea it would be in such 'rough' shape.  After going over my concerned about the set and the fact that I was worried I would not be able to get that PERFECT finish I typically do, she was still on board and gave her blessings to move ahead.

Hard to tell what I was in for from these pics…





At first I was determined that I could just sand the heck outta this guy and make all my problems go away.  I quickly learned by problems were just beginning…


Durning the 3rd layer of stripping


what a mess!



gross!  Feeling sorry for me yet?!?!


Everything about this dresser was just so very wrong!  UGH…had 95% stripped off and realized I was only half way done.  I had to sand the paint off the side of the drawers too.  

No way I was going to go through all of this work and have it still look horrible when she opened the drawers!



There was not a ton I could do about the decals.  Turns out they were made of clay and too much digging would totally ruin them.  

I found that the best thing to do was to let the stripper dry most of the way and then take a wire brush and brush most of the stripped out.  That way I wouldn't ruin the detailing.


So anyway, after a few days of working on this set and particularly, the tall piece, I am very happy with the results.
My customer loves how it turned out and really, that is all that matters to me!









No comments:

Post a Comment