Look at how much potential this guy had! Loved the hardware so was happy when my customer wanted to keep it (not to mention filling in holes isn't much fun:)). I did spray them out in Oil Rubbed Bronze so the contrast with the green would be better.
Before I sanded I stripped the top. I might have gotten away with just sanding off the original finish, because it was that old, but I prefer the extra step of stripping the main layer off, which not only ensures that my stain will penetrate much better, but evenly. Also makes the sanding easier.
Another thing I always do is wipe it down with denatured alcohol and let dry before I stain. I feel that this also helps with keeping the stain even and cleans the surface well. I know some people like to use a pre stain sanding sealer, but it just doesn't seem to work out the best for me and raises the grain too much, making extra work.
After 2 coats of the Minwax Dark Walnut stain I covered the top to spray prime the base. I didn't clear coat the top first because I wanted to do the the entire piece at once.
Had NO idea what I was thinking, maybe I have way too much going on but I removed the top cover before I sprayed the green! Was so mad! Had to go cover it again. Took me a whole 3 minutes.
Love the rich stain color and the bright pretty green with dark hardware! My awesome lamp isn't too bad either:)