Tuesday, March 11, 2014


The top of this guy was laminate and the box was a bit beat up.  The drawers however, were in wonderful condition, making this a great candidate to strip and re-stain, creating a fun two toned look.

After removing the back and rails, I cut a piece of plywood to fit snuggly inside.  Using construction adhesive and a lot of weights to glue it down, I let it sit overnight to make sure the glue it is good and dry.

Leaving the back off while refinishing and spraying is best because it makes it a little easier to get the inside sprayed out nicely as well as the inside back, the part you will see from the front, painted as well.


I pretty much have this project down to a science and actually enjoy converting these pieces into a functional, fun and beautiful TV console.

Running a bead of caulk along the front and sides then touching up with the color give the piece a nice, finished look.

Thursday, March 6, 2014


I have not been good about sharing the updates that I've done to this house over the past 3 years.  We really have done a lot of things to make this house as pretty as we can, on a budget.

I guess after building a few beautiful homes I felt that the updates to this house were insignificant but actually, this has been a very humbling process and much more challenging that starting from scratch.  

After being on both ends of the design spectrum, I think it's much easier to fall in love with a brand new, big fat daddy house made all new and pretty.  If you want a real challenge, lets update a really outdated, ugly house on a simple budget and fall in love with that!

I have shared my master bedroom update as well as the master bathroom but really, no other areas of my house.  

Lets start with the dining room.  Here are a few 'before' pictures.

Pretty sure these drapes had been hanging here for over 50 years.  They were so nasty and dirty!
Notice the baseboard radiators? Yeah, they ran almost the entire length of every room in the house and had dirt marking up the wall about 3 feet. 
Removing those and getting forced air was one of the first major things we did after moving in. 

I worked hard to keep that room divider intact even when all the drywall around it was ripped down and replaced.  Pretty much threatened everyone who was working in that room with their lives:)

Check out the chandy!  I really did love that light!  It hung there for a few months but as much as I loved it, it didn't fit the style of the house or the look I wanted for the space.  I sold it. But truth be told, I still think about her now and then.

Yeah baby!  Check out all that yummy paneling!  Maybe this is the part that made the other 100 potential buys go running out the front door.

Notice the big bow in the upper cabinets of the hutch?  I ended up literally jacking it up, placing 1x4's in the back (over the thin plywood I faced it with) and calling it good.  Very well placed trim at the top helped hid the imperfection at the top of the cabinet.

Since then, we have removed the paneling and replaced it with drywall as well as replaced a 22' beam that spanned the living room.  With each room or section we renovate, we also update the window.  We actually replaced the large window with a sliding door for easy access to the back yard.  

We also removed the nasty carpet and added hardwood flooring. Knowing that a kitchen and den reno were in our future, we purchased enough to run it through those areas as well.  With my luck, this flooring would have been discontinued by the time we got to those rooms and didn't want to take the change.

We removed the paneling and drywalled the living and dining rooms.  Although we may be removing and replacing this hutch with new cabinets when we do the kitchen, I love the little update I did to it.

You can find the antique glass tutorial HERE.

Although not a high end built in, it has served it's purpose well as a great storage and craft area and the obscure glass hides all the paperwork that we store on the top.

This dining room might not be a fancy as the one in the home we built 10 years or...
or the one we built 5 years ago.  But that's ok, I am getting there!

Tuesday, March 4, 2014


I had my eye on this light for a few weeks. Every time I went to Lowe's, which is 1-2x a week, I would  swing by the lighting section and visit the light.  I didn't NEED it, but I really WANTED it!

As perfect as it was in it's original chrome finish, I have a lot of gold finishes going on in this 60's house and wanted the light to be in a gold finish as well.

I taped off the inside of the light sockets.  All 18 of them.  Not only because I wanted it to look nice and professional, but it's the safest thing to do.

Hanging in my spray booth ready to get sprayed.

I used a red primer for metal by Rustoleum.  I used red only because that is what I happened to have, white primer would work just fine.

This sucker is BRIGHT and I LOVE it! Pretty sure my electricity bill is going to go up…we are going to have to add a dimmer:)

I love the bulbs that came with it too…such a fun and funky light!