PAGES

Thursday, April 18, 2013

ANTIQUE BUFFET TRANSFORMED INTO A BEAUTIFUL CHANGING TABLE/DRESSER FOR BABY!

I had my eye on this guy for a while but the price was higher than I really usually like to spend, but after a few weeks I couldn't take it any longer.  I bought it.


Love the beautiful detail at the top






































It was in pretty good condition considering the age.  I knew from the start that the top was going to need some extra work and was talking to my husband about my plans of repairing the veneer on top that was popped up in many areas.  He suggested we just remove it and put on a new top. Because I knew that he was going to take over this part of the project, I quickly agreed:)


Took a lot of work just to get it to this point, but it's ready to be put back together



Blocks were added for the cross bracing for the top.  They did not have it before but Marc is great about making sure it is done right.


After the top was glue and screwed, we used our very professional method of keeping pressure on the piece:)

At least the weights are getting used!  I have my workout area sitting smack dab in the middle of my workshop and have not used it in over a year!  I have even thought about using that "unused" space for furniture but I can't because I am going to start working out…on Monday:)


Of course a lot more work went into the top to get to this great finished product, but I don't have pics.

 I really wish I had a picture of the top before I sanded and primed it.  Marc did such a wonderful job and not only would you never know this is not the original top, it is actually much better than the original.


Getting a "modern" and PERFECT finish is so much more difficult than antiquing and distressing a piece.  I actually get all happy and giddy inside if someone tells me they want it "distressed and glazed"! Although I personally prefer the "vintage modern"look as well,  it takes so much work to get an imperfect and old piece to look new again!

The amount of filling and gluing and sanding and refilling and WORK I do to these pieces is work the gorgeous outcome!




No comments:

Post a Comment