PAGES

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

THE "DO OVER" DESK

This is the original picture of this desk.  Great waterfall 50's style that had great lines but in serious need of TLC.



A few weeks ago I refinished this desk in a darker shade of blue with a black glaze.  The drawers were in excellent condition and I was able to easily sand the finish off and simple stain them.  I did the same to the top, but was never really crazy about the finish from the beginning because of the fact that it was a thinner veneer and just didn't look as GREAT as I would like it to.



I have been very busy lately with custom projects and really didn't have time to mess around with this desk but every time I walked by it, I just wanted to grab it and throw it back in my sanding booth!  One day, in the middle of 100 other projects, I did.

I decided to go with the original plan I had of adding numbers to the drawers.  I also wanted a lighter color on the box. I liked the wood drawers but like I mentioned before, not the top...just didn't look right.  After sanding, priming, sanding spraying AGAIN, I really liked the color.  But now I did NOT like the drawer stain color with the box. UGH!

I mixed some of the base color (about 30% of the light grey I sprayed) with water (70%ish) and did a whitewash over the top. 

BOOOORRRING!!!!!

I had already planned on adding the numbers to the drawers but last minute decided to add the pretty orangy/red hardware.  Hobby Lobby has great hardware if you are looking for something a little "funky:


To do the number I printed them out onto paper in the font and size I wanted.


I did use a ruler a little bit to help keep numbers level.





Pushing REALLY hard with a pen, I traced the numbers so that they would be lightly imprinted onto the drawer fronts.  



After that I grabbed a little black acrylic and the best craft brush I could find and started filling in the outline.  I actually had to stop at the beginning of number one once I realized I needed more than just a big cup of coffee in me!  I was shaky and this isn't an easy fix up project.







No comments:

Post a Comment