Friday, January 18, 2013


I just finished up this pretty dining set and am loving how it turned out!  I worked on it when I could in between other projects and custom pieces.

Not only did it take so long because I was busy, but this guy needed some serious WORK!  Not sure why I am drawn to the pieces that need a complete overhaul and fixing up, but I do.

Whoever owned this table put a very dark stain on the table top but not the legs OR THE LEAF! I was worried that although I was going to be stripping and sanding, that the leaf might turn out a little different.

Those chairs were disgusting! I sometimes reupholster over existing fabric if it is in excellent shape, just to create extra padding, but I just couldn't do it in this situation.  So don't worry to anyone who may buy this set...this is NOT under your tush!

The chairs also needed some structural reinforcing...this is where Marc comes in.  Maybe he goes a little overboard on the screws (like 20 in each chair:) but he is really good at repairing and these guys are better now than the day they were built!

Even had to make a few new pieces for this chair.

Quick trip to Lowes and using the router to get the same profile on the's good to go!

 This is when I really started to get nervous about the leaf turning out different.  After stripping it the table was still SO DARK!  I sanded, and sanded, AND sanded until I felt they were good.

I think the toughest part of refinishing for me is choosing the color or finish. I w REALLY wanted to gold leaf the detail on the back of the chairs but I was nervous it would not appeal to a larger crowd.  I ended up mixing my own color because that's what I do. I was going for a soft linen / soft grey combo and that is exactly what it is!

Here they are all sprayed and ready to go...

I lightly distressed them

Then, with my favorite glaze, VanDyke Brown, I went to work...

I diluted the glaze by about 40% because I wanted it pretty runny and light.

Just start brushing it on, concentrating on the nooks and sticking to a specific area, like the back of the chair including both back legs, before moving on.

 I keep everyones stinky old stretched out socks in my family (I draw the line at using old underwear) and use them in my shop.  Just slip it over your hand and wipe it down.  Add a little here and there if you have to and re-wipe.

Let dry for at least 24 hours and use a clear coat.  I sprayed these chairs with my HVLP and a lacquer clear coat for protection but you can use whatever protection that you like.

Last step was to finally get rid of that nasty old fabric and reupholster.  Just to be "safe" I ended up using a pretty steely grey/blue fabric.  Looks great with the finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment