Because he always liked the wooden flag that I had made for Jack's room over 10 years ago, he asked if I would make one for his office. I had to dig back into my mental DIY files and try to remember what I did.
This was a total Pottery Barn knock off project. I couldn't pay the over $200 price tag back then, so decided to make one myself:)
After a trip to Lowe's, Marc made a frame for the panel (flag front) to attach to and nailed it together with my brad nailer.
I didn't prime the board because I was going to distress it and didn't mind the coverage not being too thick. Using the girls craft paints, I painted the entire base white because that was going to be my background color. I did 2 coats, making sure to get the sides.
The most difficult part was figuring out how to get the strips equal in width. Still don't know how I figured it out.
Using Jack's flag as a reference, I knew that I needed 7 red and 6 white which I am sure I copiedfrom the original PB catalog years ago.
After making VERY LIGHT pencil marks using a yardstick, I taped off the white stripes and where the 50 stars where going (which I eyeballed) and filled in the red stripes.
After it dried I taped off the area for the blue. I had a few cups of coffee that morning and didn't trust my unsteady hand:)
I forgot to take a picture of the stamp part but found a small "star" stamp at Joann's. Again, following what I did on Jack's flag, added the stamps. I did a much better job on stamp placement with my first flag but it wasn't too bad and I was not about to go back and redo it. Once you put that stamp down, your committed!
I then distressed and did a light glaze.
He also hung up a starburst mirror that I made. I tried to charge him for it, but he would pay me:)
Yeah, ummm, I had NOTHING to do with this wall!