PAGES

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

CHEVRON DRESSER AND MY LOVE OF FROG TAPE!

I will admit that although I was excited to do this dresser, I was a bit nervous as well!


Not only is a little tricky to get a very even pattern and perfect lines when it is on a solid piece but applying the stripes onto drawers that do not necessarily line up PERFECTLY and have them going in opposite directions...I was ascared!

The very first thing I did was make sure my customer and I were on the same page as far the the stripes go. We had a few ideas going back and forth and the last thing I wanted was to not do what she wanted.  No easy "do overs" here!  I did a few drawings, emailing them to her to get her blessing.




I did was remove the blocks that pushed out the middle drawer a bit.  Love the bumped out look but it was going to be easier to have the drawers flush.


Because the drawers, although very nicely lined up, were not PERFECTLY lined up.  I couldn't simply take them out, set them face up on the floor next to each other and go to town on the lines.  I need to keep the drawers in place to make sure the lines were perfectly lined up when the drawers where actually in place.  It was amazing how an 1/8" off would completely ruined the look.

Naturally, I do not have a good description of how I accomplished this task mainly because as with so many projects like these...you kinda learn as you go.  But I will note that after I got the top drawer perfect, I then went to work on the bottom drawer which was going to have the lines running the same way.  I used a straight edge to accomplish this by lining it up with the top drawers lines (top and bottom drawers in place) and marking very lightly on the bottom drawer where it lined up perfectly.  After this, while all 3 drawers in place I did the middle drawer, with lines going in opposite directions from top and bottom by eyeballing and making tiny marks on top and bottom where the tap would line up.  

I used a piece of tape as the template to keep width evenly.  Just thought it was the smartest and easiest way to go about it in this situation.  Luckily the width of the tape was perfect for the look I wanted.



Remove and go onto the next one!


There....all lined up.

I truly don't think my lines would have turned out as perfectly as they did if I did not use the green frog tape.  TOTALLY worth the $800 a roll!  Then, like you would want to do to make any perfect painted line, I painted with a foam brush along the tape lines and then sprayed it out in the white first.  This way any paint that is going to sneak under the tape...and it WILL sneak under the tape somewhere, is going to be the white color and not the color you DON'T want to sneak under.  I didn't have to do one touch up with this technique!


After the white dried I then sprayed on the color I wanted.



Doesn't my customer have a beautiful entry way?  LOVE the front door!  I also sprayed out the mirror in the same color as the stripes.




1 comment:

  1. Julie, we just love this look!

    You said, "I painted with a foam brush along the tape lines and then sprayed it out in the white first." Can you explain how that worked?

    ReplyDelete