PAGES

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

HOT PINK BUFFET AND FIXING STRIPPED HOLES WITH DOWELS AND GLUE!

First lets start with the pretty stuff!  This is going into a clients little girls room and I think they are going to love it!  

I did a bit more distressing than I normally do.  Not sure why, I just thought it really needed it and looked so pretty as I was doing it and in this case, the more the better.




Now onto boring, but important and hopefully helpful information.

This is a post on how to fill in holes that are stripped and you need to screw into.  I use this trick all the time for hinges.

I always have a container of cut dowels in various dimensions handy and use them almost every day.  Not only to fix striped holes but it is also my first step in filling in hardware holes.

First you want to find the right size dowel and one that is not too long, otherwise you will have to trim it off which is not big deal but it's ok to have it sit below the surface bit and a little easier when screwing the screw back in as well.

fill hole with wood glue.


gently tap the dowel in the hole to just below the surface.


Sometimes I actually need to drill a hole SLIGHTLY larger to get a tight fit with a dowel.  Just be careful not to drill too far….


Let dry!
It doesn't hurt to predrill tiny new holes for the screws.  Just makes life a little easier sometimes.  I like to make life easier.

Same concept, just on another pieces with a few pics...




 Here is an example of how I use larger, premade dowels to fill in stripped holes.  This caster wasn't going back in without a new, solid structure to secure to.


Fill in the hole with glue and tap in a dowel that will fit snuggly.

Because this dowel is pre cut and not very long, I decided it would be safest to cut it AFTER I had it glued into place.


Cut flush.


Drill a hole the same size as the caster peg.  NO LARGER.  Would rather have to work it in than to have it be drilled too large.  Want a tight fit.


tappidy tap, tap, tap!  I would have used my rubber mallet if I could find it.
 DONE!





No comments:

Post a Comment