PAGES

Friday, March 13, 2015

MID CENTURY DRESSER OVERHAUL

I have a feeling the hardware on this piece was throwing people off, that is why it sat in my inventory for so long.

I thought about doing something with the door the entire time is sat there too.  I wish it was a candidate to simply pop out a panel and insert a piece of decorate metal screen but being a solid piece of wood, it wasn't and knew that I was taking my chances if I started cutting into it.




While talking with my client who was very interested in having this piece converted into an entertainment center, I brought up the fact that I could remove the wooden built in hardware, fill in the holes and add some regular hardware. I also went a step further and said I would attempt to change the door as well because she had her heart set on adding screen to it.  Her components where too large to fit in the little cubbies/shelves that I could have made behind the door but she really loved the look and still wanted it, if possible.

I carefully pried off the trim and thank goodness it was only nailed and not glued.

Pulled out the nails

Measured and used my table saw to cut as much as I could of the board.  I wanted nice, clean corners so stopped when the blade was close to the corners


And finished the corners with this handy tool. I don't use this tool often but always glad to have it around.


I cut the screen that my client wanted to size and tacked in on a few spots, just to hold before I added the trim.


I added the trim pieces by tacking them behind.

I filled in the corners and touched up by hand.

I LOVE how this turned out and kinda kicking myself for not doing this a long time ago.  Just opens up the door to other pieces and ideas for me.







2 comments:

  1. Love this look and your accessories makes it even more classy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judy! I don't get many comments on my blog, so it's nice to see:))

      Delete