The base was done in General Finishes Enduro line. I will NEVER use any other products when doing black. The black undercoat, topped with the black poly is gorgeous! I also added a clear of Enduro-Var in satin. You could get away with not doing a clear on top of the black poly but I am a bit obsessive about my finishes:)
The "before". I know, not bad but I knew we could make it better!
Not sure why I didn't notice, until I went to clean and then reattach the original hardware that the finish was in rough shape. Typically the hardware on these older pieces are in decent condition and just need to be cleaned but with this set, the original finish had chipped off. Even though the chipping was on the dangle part of the hardware, I needed to treat all the bits and pieces to keep a consistent finish.
Although I like many shades of gold for hardware, I knew my client would not. My next choice would have been an Oil Rubbed Bronze but it would have blended into the black too much.
I really wanted to try and get as close as I could to the original finish so decided to spray (after sanding, cleaning and priming) the hardware in Rustoleum Antique brass, which to me, really has more of a copper-like look.
After a few coats of the Antique brass had completely dried, I "dusted" them with the Oil Rubbed Bronze lightly, still letting a bit of the brass peak though.
I also did a clear coat over top and here are the products I used.
Perfect against the black!