Welcome to SIMPLE REDESIGN! My name is Julie Peterson. I specialize in custom furniture painting and redesign by taking older, out dated pieces that are solid and ready to hang around another 60 years, just need to be updated to fit your modern day design.
This is definitely going down as one of my favorite pieces of all times. Not fancy, but different and fun! It's kind of a 'modern meets industrial and bumps into coastal' look!
So this is where I started. Your typical 60's blond dresser. I love the hardware but one was broken, which ruined the chanced of using these at all. Hate when that happens.
That's ok though because it took me in a whole new direction….
I have been wanting to do a project using pallet wood forever but not only did I only run across old, ugly pallets, I never had the time. I didn't realize I was a "pallet snob" but I guess I am. I wanted it to be a rough sawn wood but also, in nice condition.
I had been eyeballing my neighbors beautiful, clean and empty pallet in they driveway for a few days and asked if I could have it. She said "yes":)
I cut the pallet apart and besides keeping a few knots, kept the nicest pieces I could salvage. I didn't have much left over.
After ripping down the pieces for the front and side trim I cut boards and staggered seams like I do a hardwood floor. And I have helped lay many hardwood floors!
I didn't have a real plan but after installing the top, things just kind of fell together. I had the casters and hardware on hand and decided this beautiful green called Chopped Dill by BM, would be perfect for the direction I was taking the stain.
After sanding SUPER well, I stained the wood using the same products and steps that I did on my sons shelf project HERE. I know I have been proclaiming my love for General Finishes Gel Stains lately, but I still love and will continue to use Minwax and Rustoleum for certain applications.
Because of the nature of the wood (rough and deep graining), I needed a liquid stain to soak in, penetrate and get down deep. Not to mention it's what I had on hand:)
This photo below is just after the application of the gray stain. I brushed on with chippy and rubbing in good with rag.