Before I built the seating bench, it was a round high top, but the kids kept beating up my walls with the back of the chairs, so I changed it to a rectangular top made out of a door. Cute, but still not right. Then, after building the built in seating, there came a second round of new tables. None of them worked for some reason, plus but the "need" to make one myself still lingered.
I had seen this done a long time ago and stored it away in my mental file to use when I was to make a new computer desk down the road. I loved the industrial look of it and wanted to mix it in with the other decor around the house.
I was working on refinishing a table when I realized it was not salvageable, but the inside leafs were really great and wanted to do something with them. They became my table top.
I wanted the matte, raw look so after stripping and sanding, I simply waxed the top.
I wish I had pictures of how I put this thing together, but when I made this last year and had the time to do these fun DIY projects, I had NO idea I was ever going to share them and need some good pictures for tutorials.
Here are a few close up and underneath pictures to give you an idea of the pieces of pipe I used and how it was put together.
I jotted down a picture and list of what I thought I would need and how I wanted it constructed, then headed to Lowe's. Once piece of advice, DO NOT BRING KIDS ALONG ON THIS TRIP!! I was there in the plumbing isle for a long time and got a little greasy while trying to puzzle things together. I ended up figuring out that it was going to be cheaper to have one 8' piece cut down into 4 sections for the bottom legs of the base, so if your trying to budget this, check out all of your options.
This did not end up exactly being a "cheap" project. I was surprised to spend about $75 on all the plumbing, but it was worth it!
And I did have to have my husband really tighten the pipes with the wrench when he got home. I bit of adjusting, tightening or loosening, might have to happen to make sure everything is balanced and level.
No gum under there I hope...
I attached my 4 planks to 2 other pieces of wood scraped from the old table (screwing underneath) and made sure to have them set the right space apart, so they would evenly and perfectly sit on top and of the plates, brackets, or whatever they are called that the table is resting on, then screwing into place.