PAGES

Saturday, June 8, 2013

WHITEWASHED TABLE

Although I have done a whitewashing technique before, this is the first time I have done it for a customer.  She purchased this table on Craigslist for a great price.  It had 2 leafs and a pretty base.  Just needed some love.

She had a good idea and few pictures of what she wanted which helped tremendously!  She was  looking for a whitewashed, "driftwood" look and feel.


We did so a small sample board before I attacked the table, just to make sure we were on the same page.  TOTALLY recommend doing this for special or faux finished especially if you don't have picture as one person's "whitewash" may be a little different than another persons "whitewash":)

There are 2 leafs that came with the table, which I whitewashed as well.  I always do the leafs at the same time especially when doing any sort of faux treatment.  I actually put the leafs in the table (leaving gaps btwn) to work with it almost as one large table. That way you get the most consistency.

After I sanded, primed and sprayed the table in a dark gray base, I began the whitewashing.  I am sure there are many ways to do it but I like to use about %50 paint to %50 water.  You will also need a towel to remove most of the paint and I like to use a rough brush, like a chippy type brush.  A super nice, smooth Purdy brush will not give you the striations your looking for.


Dip the brush in the whitewash mixture just a bit, wipe most of the paint off on the rag and start your strokes.  Mixing it with water helps to keep it moving a little bit and have more continuous strokes.

After it dried a did a LITTLE bit more random whitewashing over top, just for extra depth.


Let dry, few coats of clear lacquer and it's done!











3 comments: