PAGES

Thursday, May 2, 2013

TURNING A DRESSER INTO A MEDIA CENTER







I have turned a dresser into an entertainment center before, leaving the drawers in place but giving them the ability to flip down, a post you can see HERE.
This worked well but this time around I was thinking about keeping the top row totally open but wanted it to look finished inside, not like I just took out some drawers….

 This piece was a perfect candidate because I never really liked the waffle pattern on the top drawers.  I originally tried to convince myself that it was kinda cool and different, but in the end, they had to go!


 I began by removing the back so I could get to the inside.  The sheet of ply was cut and dry fitted to make sure it was going to work.  Because Marc did the cuts, not me, it fit perfectly:).

This was not actually installed until the very end so that I could prep and paint that separately as it would be more difficult to do it while installed.



Continued with the necessary prep work



Because this was plywood, the cut end, which was going to be visible from the front needed to be filled and sanded smooth



After it was all sprayed.  I glued and then pin nailed the board into place and replaced the back of the dresser.  I will be drilling a few holes in the back for cords as well.

I love how it turned out!



No comments:

Post a Comment