PAGES

Thursday, May 23, 2013

THE FUN AND FUNKY DRESSER!

This was the probably the most stressful and challenging project I have taken on in a long time (next to the grainy oak kitchen cabinets:)) but the end result was worth it all!

I was so nervous about someone putting their faith into my hands to "do whatever you want…I know I will like it".  That makes me nervous!

This piece is for a sweet and spunky 4 year old and mom wanted a dresser to match his personality.  I didn't have much to go on except I knew she liked turquoise, red, vintage, different, funky and wanted to incorporate the number "4" and letters "E" and "P", if possible.


I knew when she chose these other coordinating pieces for her other sons room to be this bright fun green color, that she was open to ideas, so that helped:)



Honestly, this is how it sat for about a week and I just picked at it here and there. I was really struggling.  I had a ton a great ideas all up in my head but they needed to blend and I didn't want it to look like a  "Sesame Street" dresser but have a vintage, fun feel.



I toyed with the idea of using mirrors on 1 or some of the drawers and maybe dowels for texture.

The ruler I was using to cut lengths of twine, which I didn't use either,  caught my eye and decided it would be fun to use somewhere…it became our number "4".




I basically just walked thru the hardware dept. at Lowes, finding a few items but most of the pieces came from my leftovers and "junk drawers" in my workshop.

Everything was heavily distressed and glazed for the vintage feel.



 THE BEFORE





1 comment:

  1. Fun and funky bedrooms give children the encouragement to stay indoors when it is not possible to play outside due to the weather. If they enjoy their bunk beds so much it will not be difficult to convince them to jump in it when bedtime comes.

    ReplyDelete